Shreveport, LA: UOP Shreveport Facility Remediation, Cutoff Wall and In-Place Cover Installation
The UOP Shreveport Facility is an active chemical manufacturing plant operated by Honeywell. This project was focused on the remediation of the former Miscellaneous Chemical Storage Area (MSCA). This former chemical storage area was the disposal site for a variety of contaminants resulting in significant soil and groundwater contamination. Geo-Solutions was contracted by URS to complete a bench scale compatibility study prior to its involvement as the prime contractor for the installation of the cutoff wall and final soil cover.
Description of Work:
- Site preparation: clearing and grubbing, utility abandonment;
- Installation of 22,000 SF soil-bentonite slurry trench cutoff wall;
- Installation of 50,000 SF permanent soil cap;
- Solid waste handling and disposal;
- Site restoration: Topsoil, seeding, permanent utility and fence installation;
- Final soil cap and permanent fence.
Key Project Objectives:
- Complete containment of former chemical waste disposal area;
- Installation of an underground barrier that is compatible with waste for long term containment.
- Project completed inside of an active manufacturing facility, difficult scheduling and work space conditions;
- Inclement weather significantly impacted temporary and final cap construction.