Jersey City, NJ: Former West End Gas Plant Remediation, Jet Grouting at Utility Crossings and Short Sheetpile Locations
Geo-Solutions Inc. was subcontracted to complete jet grouting around utility crossings in order to complete a perimeter containment system. The jet grouting was completed using a single fluid jet grout system. The jet grouting parameters were selected to ensure 4' - 5' diameter columns in the soils expected at the jet grouting locations. Numerous attempts were needed to install each column due to unknown subsurface obstructions.
- Installation of 13 four foot and 2 five foot diameter jet grout columns
- Maximum depth of 80' BGS
- Average UCS of grab samples was 800 psi after 28 days
- Average permeability of grab samples was 5x10-8 cm/s after 28 days
- Work completed over 1 week
Key Project Objectives:
- Complete tie-in between sheetpile walls on both sides of utilities and between sheetpile bottom and "bedrock"
- Ensure that the jet grout barrier had a permeability less than 1x10-6 cm/sec
- Achieving full tie-in between utilities due to the high prevalence of subsurface obstruction
- Working immediately adjacent to the river